Military watches are tactical survival emergency tools used by men and women both on and off service. An ordinary watch carries limited functions, first and foremost, they can tell you the time. When a piece of equipment is created with Military standards and use in mind, the tool must be engineered with military grade features that will withstand the harshest of climates in the toughest terrains.
Military watches are durable, dependable and skillful which makes them a top pick for those looking to get the most out of a simple watch.
This piece of equipment tracks your every move by tracking your heart rate, measuring your pace, distance, and location with precision. All the data is continuously measured and updated. You can access your progress report at the touch of a button. The physical design of these watches ensures the most accurate information is being gathered.
If you are looking for a tool that will become your personal guide and survival coach, you’re in the right place. Here are 15 of the best military watches for 2020.
Table of Contents
- 1 Our 15 Choices for Best Military Watches
- 2 BEST MILITARY WATCH REVIEWS
- 2.1 CASIO G-SHOCK QUARTZ GG-1000-1A3CR
- 2.2 CITIZEN BM8180-03E ECO-DRIVE ANALOG JAPANESE QUARTZ
- 2.3 CASIO G-SHOCK RANGEMAN
- 2.4 GARMIN FĒNIX 3, SAPPHIRE
- 2.5 UMINOX 3051 EVO NAVY SEAL COLORMARK
- 2.6 CITIZEN AT0200-05E ECO-DRIVE STAINLESS STEEL
- 2.7 CASIO G-SHOCK GG-1000-1A5CR
- 2.8 GARMIN FENIX 3 HR
- 2.9 CASIO G-SHOCK GA110-1B
- 2.10 SEIKO SNK809 SEIKO 5
- 2.11 CASIO GW2310FB-1CR G-SHOCK
- 2.12 WENGER SWISS MILITARY 72900 CLASSIC FIELD
- 2.13 TIMEX EXPEDITION SHOCK DIGITAL COMPASS
- 2.14 SUUNTO CORE WRIST-TOP COMPUTER WATCH
- 2.15 SUUNTO CORE
- 3 HIGH END MILITARY WATCHES OVER $500
- 4 Best Military Watches under $100
- 5 What’s Important When Deciding to Buy a Military Watch?
- 6 In What Situations Are Military Watches Used For?
Our 15 Choices for Best Military Watches
BEST MILITARY WATCH REVIEWS
CASIO G-SHOCK QUARTZ GG-1000-1A3CR
Build: Weighs 10.4 ounces, analog/digital, stainless steel bezel, 660 feet water resistant depth
Special Features: Full auto calendar, chronograph, mineral crystal, quartz movement, supper illumination.
Here is a new MUDMASTER in the market. At less than $300, you are provided with true military performance. There are so many words you can use to describe this masterpiece, but the very common ones are functional, durable, awesome, useful, reliable, and of course versatile. This is exactly what you need for EDC, and it works wonders for search and rescue.
This watch is your guide out of the unknown when you lose your backpack and all your survival items. While most manufacturers attempt to impress you with good looks, Casio G-Shock offers you solution in addition to a rugged design.
This is exactly what you need for surface water sports and marine activities. Not highly recommended for diving, though.
- 660 feet depth that is suitable for surface water sports and marine activity.
- Digital compass for route finding and navigation.
- MUDMASTER technology (neobrite, mineral glass) for mud and shock resistance.
- LED backlight offer super illumination in the dark.
- No GPS or altimeter features; therefore, not convenient for skiing.
No HR monitor, cannot qualify as a cutting-edge running watch.
CITIZEN BM8180-03E ECO-DRIVE ANALOG JAPANESE QUARTZ
Building: Weighs 8.8 ounces
Special Features: Luminosity, water resistance up to 100 meters, dial window that is mineral crystal.
BM8180-03E features a Japanese-quartz movement that allows you charge using indoor or natural light. It is suitable for swimming because it is water resistant up to 100 meters. Its mineral crystal dial window protects the watch from impact making it more durable.
It comes in a stainless steel construction that comprises of a black dial that is round with a date window and a band that is stitched with canvas. It also comprises of a buckle closure making it fit your wrist and reduces the probability of losing it.
Other features include luminosity, analog display, and a textured crown. You will be able to read the display even in the dark because it features luminosity.
- It is easy to read at night because it is a luminous watch.
- Solar charging saves you money and time of replacing batteries.
- If not exposed to sunlight for a while decreases the watches functionality for it to preserve the batteries life.
- LIGHT-POWERED ECO-DRIVE: Converts any light, whether natural or artificial, into energy. Energy is stored in a permanently rechargeable power cell. The watch recharges continuously in any light to run forever, with no battery changes required ever.
- WATER RESISTANT TO 100 M: This tactical watch is water resistant to 10 ATM (100 meters). In general, it’s suitable to wear in the shower, in professional marine activities like swimming and snorkeling, and in surface water sports, but not for scuba diving. Functions E101, 3 Hand, Day / Date
- FOR YOUR ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: This Citizen silver-toned military watch has a stainless steel case, canvas strap, adjustable buckle closure, three-hand analog display with quartz movement, luminous hands and markers, a day-date display window, and a dial featuring hour markers and a minute track.
CASIO G-SHOCK RANGEMAN
Build: Weighs 8 ounces, low-temperature resistant up p 14 F, shock resistant, mud resistant and water resistant up to 200m.
Special Features: Multi-band atomic timekeeping, manual receive function, world time and 31 time zones.
Backlight: Full auto LED backlight
RANGEMAN watch is a designed to endure any condition by being tough as well as rugged. It comprises of a triple sensor that provides you with information on altitude, direction reading, barometric pressure, and temperature. Its buttons are cylindrical for ease in operation and also impact resistance.
The button that operates the sensor has a metallic cover that keeps it free from dirt and damage. In any given mode the button that operates the sensor takes you to a special screen by pressing it. Each mode has an audible tone that allows you determine the mode.
It can be used in various lighting conditions, it full auto LED backlight also has an afterglow. Businessmen and travelers can use this watch, with 31 time zones, city code display and daylight saving you can never miss your landing time. It is always accurate because it receives time calibration radio signals and comprises of auto receive and manual receive functions.
- Being shock, mud and water resistant makes its durable for a long period of time
- It can be used in different lighting conditions because it features a full auto LED backlight
- The straps are somehow thin, they can tear easily
- 推出 rangeman ， Master of g 系列的较新设计，能够承受较艰苦的条件下能够想象的坚韧和坚固的 timepieces ，设计
- rangeman 采用耐冲击三联传感器，这使得它能够高度、气压、温度和方向读数保持在您的指尖。圆柱按钮提供出色的操作和改善抗冲击
- 字样印刷在常用的传感器按钮（右侧），一个金属盖，保护皮肤免受横向冲击，使国外无论 任何模式下按下传感器扣需要您直接传感器屏幕 每个传感器模式有其自己的声音色调，这意味着您可以确定您正在进入不均匀所看到的这款手表的模式。本产品所有和日出 / 日落所用数据，一键时间记录、一键式时间测量，闻名世界的 g - Shock 韧性和耐用性，以及更使 rangeman rangers 、救援人员，以及任何职业或活动需要给予可靠的可靠性的完美选择
GARMIN FĒNIX 3, SAPPHIRE
Build: Weighs 2.9 ounces, water resistant of 100m
Special Features: Wireless connectivity, EXO antenna with GPS, 1.2 inch color Chroma display and sapphire lens, LED backlight.
Garmin Fenix 3, Sapphire is an elegant timepiece that can also withstand rough conditions. It features a scratch resistant, high strength and stainless steel band and sapphire lens. It is durable since it consists of a protective stainless steel bezel and a reinforced housing providing protection from damage.
You can be able to access data in any lighting conditions because it comprises of a sunlight-visible high-resolution color Chroma display. The display comes with LED backlight. You can also use it in water; it has a water resistance of 100m. Depending on settings its battery can last for 16 hours in GPS mode, 3 months in watch mode and 50 hours in Ultra Trac mode.
Individuals who love exercising can use this timepiece to get informed about their form and fitness. It has training features like VO2 max estimator that can be used with a heart rate monitor to crunch data on your heart beats per minute and running speed. You can also be able to update software and sync your data automatically with Garmin connect because it features a wireless connectivity.
- Can be used in any light conditions because of its color Chroma display with LED backlight.
- With its numerous features, it can be used in various activities such as swimming, ski-board, and fitness.
- May experience GPS failure after extended use.
- CHROMA DISPLAY - 1.2” sunlight-visible high-resolution color Chroma optically-bonded display
- SAPPHIRE LENS - High-strength scratch resistant domed sapphire lens (Sapphire version only)
- EXO ANTENNA - Omni-directional steel EXO antenna, when paired with GLONASS and EPO, provides an even faster fix and accurate position than GPS alone
Build: Polyurethane, weighs 7.20 ounces and water resistant of 660 ft.
Special Features: Notched unidirectional bezel, contrast white markers and a date display at the 3 o’clock position.
Luminox 3051 EVO navy seal Colormark watch glows 100 times brighter than any other Luminox watch. This feature makes it perfect for low-light or no light situations and also allows easy visibility. It is a durable watch which comes in a 43.9 mm polyurethane case construction and a matching polyurethane band including a buckle clasp. Its unidirectional textured bezel consists of popping-white minute indexes that make reading easy.
Its durable mineral dial window protects it from damage and being water resistant to a depth of 200m makes it durable and fit for various areas. It is powered by analog-quartz movement and features a handy calendar at the three o’clock position.
It also comprises of white Arabic numerals that contrast with the classic black dial and the white numerals mark the 24-hour clock. Luminox 3051 EVO is a watch that has a high level of comfort, durability and it is worth the price.
- Being water resistant for a depth up to 200 m makes it suitable for surface water sports
- It can be used in any lighting conditions because it features a tritium illumination which makes it glows 100 times brighter
- It is lightweight since it only weighs 7.20 ounces making it more comfortable to wear
- Replacing its straps is difficult since 23 mm is not a popular band size in the market
- Luminous black watch featuring notched unidirectional bezel, contrast white markers, and date display at 3 o'clock position
- 44 mm Polyurethane case with mineral dial window
- Swiss quartz movement with analog display
CITIZEN AT0200-05E ECO-DRIVE STAINLESS STEEL
Build: Weighs 1.2 pounds, Japanese quartz, stainless steel bezel, canvas band, buckle clasp, analog type
Special Features: Chronograph, luminous, Japanese quartz, canvas band.
This is a remarkable Eco-Drive watch for the money, which is less stylish but very functional. As far as affordable tactical watches are concerned, this should be everyone’s choice. This model should be your number one selection just in case you are fed up with the battery-powered timepieces.
Unlike other solar-powered timepieces, this one can be charged by natural sunlight as well as indoor light. While the band is made of canvas, the case and bezel are made of stainless steel, which is well-known for its resistance to scratching and shock.
Although it is probably not the most convenient model for training, workout, route finding, and navigation, it is certainly an ideal watch for water sports and hiking in extreme conditions.
- Luminous hands allow you to read time in the dark.
- Has water resistance rating of up to 330 feet, making it fit for swimming and snorkeling.
- Solar powered no need to worry about the battery draining fast.
- No navigation and route finding features, such as altimeter and compass.
No training and workout features, such as HR monitor.
- Military-inspired stainless steel watch with round dial, red contrasting second hand, and rugged green canvas band
- Japanese quartz movement with analog display. Operating temperature range is -10°C to +60°C/14°F to 140°F
- Charges in natural sunlight or indoor light;Case Size 39mm
CASIO G-SHOCK GG-1000-1A5CR
Built: It is round-shaped made in a resin case and band material.
Special Features: It is a MUDMASTER; so, it is built to resist mud and dirt. It has 660 feet water resistant depth, allowing you to participate in surface water sports without any damage to its construction or operation.
Casio GG-1000-1A5CR Men’s watch is built to withstand hardships of the trail. This is one of the best portraits of Casio’s magnificent inventions across the globe. Like all Casio MUDMASTERs, this particular model is built to resist the damaging effects of mud and dirt on the button functions.
Its brilliance is far from anything that you have ever referred to as a military/ survival watch. Its operation is based on quartz movement; therefore, it is more accurate. The case is just the correct size for any outdoorsman, including 16.4 mm thickness, and 5.6 cm diameter. The watch weighs only 3.20 ounces, making it ultra-lightweight for easy wear.
You will rarely feel the added weights on your wrist. It is fitted with a men’s standard band length along with 27.4 mm band width. This is a highly versatile timepiece for a military person. It presents you with the convenience of both digital and analog display. Visibility of the second, minute and hour hands is properly enhanced by the installation of large hands.
You do not have to strain when reading time in the analog format. On the other hand, the digital display is even better with the time vividly displayed just below the 12th-hour mark. It is the real deal for outdoor survival. The LED backlight super illuminates the display for improved visibility at night and in dark rooms. A digital compass makes navigation easy whenever you are lost in the wild. The thermometer offers perfect readings of the weather.
- Shock, mud, and water resistant
- Construction includes high quality material for durability
- Extended battery life of two years
- An abundance of outdoor features
- Digital compass is exceptionally accurate
- Need to unbuckle for accurate thermometer readings
- Negative display is challenging to read in low light
- Shock resistant, neobrite, mineral glass, mud resistant, 200-meter water resistance, led backlight (super illuminator), digital compass, thermometer, world time, stopwatch
- Countdown timer, 5 daily alarms, hourly time signal, low battery alert, full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format, button operation tone on/off, approx. Battery life: 2 years on sr927w x 2
- Quartz Movement
GARMIN FENIX 3 HR
Build: Weighs 3.2 ounces, water resistance up to 100 meters
Special Features: Wireless connectivity, Chroma display of 1.2 inches, wrist-based heart rate.
Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Gray is a true performer watch that is also elegant in style. It features a wireless connectivity that allows you to utilize Wi-Fi hot spots. If you are in range with the spot you will be able to sync your data automatically with Garmin Connect and also get to update software.
Its 1.2-inch sunlight-visible high-resolution color Chromo optically-bonded display allows you to view well in any lighting conditions. It can be used in numerous activities because of it fitness training features and outdoor navigation capabilities.
This timepiece comprises of a connect IQ that allows you to customize the watch with a wide range of downloadable watch faces, activities, data fields and widgets by pairing it with a compatible Smartphone. It comprises of a wrist heart rate technology that measures your heart beat. This helps you track your heart rate data.
It is equipped with ABC sensors that offer you relevant, real-time information. You can also monitor ascent and descent with its inbuilt altimeter that gives you elevation data. You get to predict weather changes with the barometer and its 9-axis electronic compass informs you on whether you are moving.
- Can be used in different lighting areas since it comprises of a Chroma display.
- It’s water resistant up to 100 meters makes it suitable for swimming.
- It is hard to operate it and one requires lessons on how to use it with its numerous features.
- WRIST-BASED HEART RATE - Garmin Elevate wrist heart rate technology measures heart rate at the wrist, giving you the option to track your heart rate data without wearing a chest strap - Activity Tracking Accuracy
- BLACK SILICONE BAND - Soft, flexible black silicone band adds luxurious feel with resistance to discoloration
- CHROMA DISPLAY - 1.2” sunlight-visible high-resolution color Chroma optically-bonded display. Physical dimensions(Inches) - 2.0 x 2.0 x 0.6. Display resolution, WxH - 218 x 218 pixels transflective MIP color sapphire lens
CASIO G-SHOCK GA110-1B
Build: Weighs 2.4 ounces, shock resistant, water resistant up to 200 meters and magnetic resistant
Special Features: 29 world time zones, full-auto calendar. 12/24 hour formats, hourly time signal, auto LED light.
G-shock GA110-1B is a timepiece that can be used in the roughest conditions. It is resistant to shock, magnetic and has a water resistant capacity of up to 200m. It can be used by businessmen and travelers with no worry of resetting time because it features 29 world time zones.
It features a pre-programmed full auto calendar, a 12/24 hour format and an accuracy of +/- 15 seconds per year. It keeps you alert every hour with its hourly time signals. It comprises of four daily alarms, one snooze alarm, and 1/1000 second stopwatch.
- With its 29 world zones it is suitable for various individuals such as businessmen and travellers
- It is durable because it is shock, magnetic and water resistant
- Can be used in various lighting conditions since it is made up of an auto LED light with afterglow
- Even with the light you can be unable to read in the dark
SEIKO SNK809 SEIKO 5
Build: Weighs 8 ounces
Special Features: 21 jewel automatic movement, luminosity, canvas hand.
Seiko men’s SNK809 is a round timepiece that features a round black dial with a day or date windows, an exhibition case back and sword-shaped hands. It comes in with a 37 mm stainless steel case and hardlex mineral dial window that protects it from damages and dirt.
The case can also extend to meet the black nylon strap and wraps around the wrist to fasten it. NK809 is an automatic mechanical watch meaning it does not use batteries but is automatically powered by the movement of your arm.
The automatic movement is a precise 21-jewel that has an analog display. You may purchase an automatic watch winder to keep the watch charged. It’s easy to tell the time day or night by using its silver-tone hand with luminous fill.
Its slim second hand is a red accent that provides more ease in telling time. The day and date display are placed at three o’clock which is convenient. It is suitable for swimmers because it is water resistant up to 100 meters.
- Water resistant up to 100 meters makes it suitable for swimmers also
- Its stainless steel construction makes it durable by protecting from damage
- It is less accurate in timekeeping if you do not wound the spring enough
- To the start the watch initially, swing from side to side in a horizontal arc about 30 seconds.
- 37 mm stainless steel case and Hardlex mineral dial window and Precise 21-jewel automatic movement with analog display
CASIO GW2310FB-1CR G-SHOCK
Build: Resin, water resistant of 200m and shock resistant
Special Features: Solar-powered multifunction, 4 daily alarms, 41 world time zones, 1/100 sec stopwatch, countdown timer and 12/24 HR formats.
Backlight: Full auto EL backlight
Casino men’s GW2310FB-1 CR can be used in various categories, it is a tough but yet a spectacular watch that suits all types of activities. Being water resistant to 200m makes it suitable for surface water sporting.
It features a multi-band radio calibration system which allows it to receive radio signals over the air from one of Casio’s stations. This feature makes the watch to be precise to the second all the time and you do not have to reset the time ever.
Its solar-powered multifunction that is, the watch comes in with built-in solar battery eliminates the fact of replacing batteries. Its world time zone function is an added advantage to individuals who love traveling or are businessmen. You can switch to the time zone you are traveling to by just a press of a button.
- Tough design, shock resistant and water resistant of 200m making it suitable for all conditions
- Solar powered malfunction eliminates replacing of batteries frequently
- Its multi-band radio calibration system makes it precise to the second eliminating resetting of time
- Even with its backlight feature the watch is not readable in all lighting conditions
- Solar-powered multifunction watch with full auto EL backlight, 4 daily alarms, and 41 world time zones
- Additional functions include 1/100 sec stopwatch
- countdown timer
WENGER SWISS MILITARY 72900 CLASSIC FIELD
Build: Weighs 8.8 ounces, Swiss quartz, 330 feet water depth, stainless steel bezel and case, pig skin leather
Special Features: Luminous hands for improved visibility.
The risk of being a comfort and simple brand is that you might consider a watch to be too unpretentious to be a military timepiece. The same cannot be said of Wenger Swiss watch. What makes this watch unique is the craftsmanship implemented in its making.
You can inspect it right out of the box for imperfections, but be rest assured that you will find none. You should have come to terms with the fact that this is not a sports or running watch that is installed with numerous outdoor features. It is a simple, waterproof (100 meters), stylish watch that offers you high visibility. The luminous hands allow you to read time in the dark.
- Luminous hands offer high visibility
- Suitable for swimming and snorkeling
- The pig skin leather band is soft and comfortable
- It is not the most convenient watch for running, training, navigation, or route finding
- Precise and quality Swiss-quartz movement
- Durable mineral crystal
- High visibility, quick charge, luminous hands, numbers, and markers
TIMEX EXPEDITION SHOCK DIGITAL COMPASS
Building: Weighs 6.4 ounces
Special Features: Digital compass, shock resistant, water resistant, an Indiglo light up watch dial.
Timex expedition features a negative display that is bold. For added durability, it comes in with a nylon strap and lightweight resin case that also provides comfort when wearing. It is stylish and can also be used for outdoor activities such as swimming and professional marine activity.
It is water resistant up to 200 meters and shock-resistant that is I.S.O certified. While enjoying your activities outdoors you do not have to worry about losing your watch since it comprises of a buckle that ensures it remains on your wrist always.
In the wilderness, you can never get lost by using the digital compass you get to track your way through. It features an Indiglo night-light that allows you to easily view even in the dark.
- Suitable for rugged outdoor activities and being water resistant it can be used in numerous water activities
- Its Indiglo night-light offers you a great view at night
- You cannot replace the band in case of any damages
- Round watch featuring a digital compass and day/date/month calendar functions
- 48.5 mm durable and lightweight resin case with acrylic dial window
- Quartz movement with digital display
SUUNTO CORE WRIST-TOP COMPUTER WATCH
Build: Weighs 2.93 ounces, 30 meters water depth, elastometer band, elastometer case
Special Features: Multiple watch, date and time functions, uses replaceable batteries.
This type of Suunto core watch features an altimeter, barometer, and compass making it suitable for exploring. You can track your vertical movements with the altimeter, point out directions with the compass and get informed on the air pressure trends with the barometer.
With this timepiece, you are always safe and also get to plan your activities prior with its weather trend graph and storm alarm. The storm alarm comes along with preset sunrise or sunset time for more than 400 locations. While traveling the barometer helps you to predict any changes with its built-in weather trend indicator.
It is made up of an intelligent storm alarm that senses any air pressure changes and notifies you. The altimeter records sessions show you the ascent or descent and displays off the current elevation. With this timepiece exploring the mountain or wilderness will always be easier and fun.
- Its combination of an altimeter, barometer and compass always assure you of safety
- You are able to plan your travels prior with its weather trend graph
- The bands material is fragile and can easily crack if not maintained properly
- An altimeter tracks your vertical movement, a barometer tells the Trend in air pressure, and a compass points the way
- Suunto core tracks both the weather and the sun for you
- A weather Trend graph and storm alarm along with preset sunrise/sunset times for over 400 locations help you stay safe and Plan your activities
Building: Weighs 8 ounces, stylish design option
Special Features: Weather function, temperature/ storm alarm, elastomer strap, ABC.
Suunto Core is a stylish timepiece that comes in a robust construction with an elastomer strap that is comfortable to wear. It mainly suits individuals who love outdoor activities such as, wilderness travelers, skiers, and mountaineers.
It features a barometer, compass and an altimeter with weather information. This combination brings out the need to explore the world. The altimeter helps you to know your current elevation, progress when climbing, track your ascent or descent.
The barometer, on the other hand, keeps an eye on the air pressure trend in order to forecast weather alterations. This helps you to take precautions and keep you safe throughout your journey. The compass allows you to find your way when in the wilderness by navigating and pinpointing locations.
It also features sunrise and sunset times which are available for more than 400 locations globally. This feature ensures that wherever you are you never run out of daylight.
- Combination of a compass, barometer and an altimeter allows you to enjoy outdoor activities
- You can enjoy exploring the world with no worry of getting lot since you can navigate and pinpoint locations
- Its negative display is not suitable when you are indoors because you cannot easily read
HIGH END MILITARY WATCHES OVER $500
GARMIN FENIX 3 HR
The Garmin Fenix 3 HR is certainly one of the best high-end military watches. It is the greatest GPS timepiece you will ever need. It is not the best by default, it is the best by design, and it is definitely not cheap.
It is regarded by many as the most effective multisport wear you can find in the market. This is such a pretty piece designed to offer excellent performance where it is needed. Your $500+ will not go to waste. In actual fact, you will be admiring your Garmin Fenix 3 HR whenever you put it on.
- The Garmin Fenix 3 HR is installed with the latest software, along with an optical heart rate monitor.
- This masterpiece will change your perception of GPS sport watches.
- The construction is made of stainless steel accompanied by matte black plastic with a unique and very comfy silicone band.
- It can handle anything that your environment has to offer.
- The sapphire glass is basically scratch-free.
- This is a big timepiece, but it offers the best fit.
So Many Useful Features:
- The very first amazing trait of this smart watch is the wrist heart rate tech. This tech does assess the max oxygen volume you can possibly use in every minute.
- In addition, other fitness functions include race predictor and recovery advisor.
- Navigation has been made easy because the Fenix 3 HR is well-equipped with navigation/tracking metrics along with GPS and altimeter/barometer/compass for easy maneuvering of the terrain.
- You do not have to be worried when you get lost in the unknown, you can always find your way to safety with Fenix 3 HR.
- The worth of your money is further reflected by smart notifications. In addition to all other military watch features, this unique piece by Garmin allows you to receive alerts, texts, and emails.
- Other unique metrics that are worth paying for include golf mode, ski/board mode, rowing, and swim profile.
Everything you will ever need in a military/survival modern watch is found in the Fenix 3 HR. – Buy It
Garmin Fenix 3, Sapphire
Garmin is the masters of running watches, they have proven beyond doubt with the invention of Fenix 3 Sapphire. Along with Fenix 3 HR, Fenix 3 Sapphire meets your every need. Given the brand’s supremacy in the GPS market, it is no surprise that the Fenix 3 Sapphire has such excellent performance as well as functionality. Unlike any other brand apart from the Fenix 3 HR, the Fenix 3 Sapphire never loses its signal even during trail running and hiking.
- It has a sleek and stylish construction with sapphire lens and a stainless band.
- It has armor-plated housing for improved durability, and a shielding stainless bezel and bevel.
- You can access information in any light settings, due to the color Chroma display (high-resolution sunlight visible) and LED backlight.
- This is a perfect watch for surface water sports based on its water ratings at 100 meters water resistant depth. Therefore, it can effectively stand the humidity of the track when conditions change.
- Outstanding battery life (depending on settings) – can last 3 months when in watch mode, 16 hours when in GPS mode, and 50 hours when in UltraTrac mode.
So Many Useful Features:
- Apart from the Fenix 3 HR, Fenix 3 Sapphire should be your second best running watch. Like its counterpart, it has so many running features for the money.
- Advanced fitness metrics will leave you speechless. The Fenix 3 Sapphire is installed with VO2 max estimator which delivers amazing results when used in conjunction with a heart rate monitor.
- You can observe your aptness, and even compare it to your peers with the help of VO2 max estimator.
- Up-to-the-minute running dynamics with numerous metrics. The watch can effectively report your ground contact time, vertical oscillation, and cadence when you use it along with HRM-Run monitor.
- Other remarkable features for the money include: smart notifications, connect IQ, ABC sensors, ski-board mode, and swim profile.
The Fenix 3 Sapphire is downright elegant. It provides a clear breakdown of each workout in an easy to understand format, right on the watch. – Buy It
Best Military Watches under $100
Citizen BM8180-03E Eco-Drive
Citizen men’s BM8180-03E is a uniquely designed timepiece that is not only affordable but offers a number of features for military uses. You can obtain elegance through this piece because it will compliment your personality. This masterpiece brings out the best of your persona apart from providing you with the various timekeeping and outdoor wristwatch style metrics.
The elegance and resourcefulness of this watch are made possible by the following features:
- 330 feet water resistance depth
- Day and date calendar
- Stainless steel bezel material
- Black dial color
- Unique green band
- Stainless steel case material
- Buckle clasp
- Analog display
- Mineral dial window.
G-Shock GA110-1B Military Series Watch Black
If you cannot be bothered to read a user manual, this is the ideal under $100 watch for you. It is a snap to use from the time you put it on your wrist, with a number of modes that show the different functionalities. It is fitted with a bold display that ensures you are always ready for your outdoor adventure.
It might be cheap, but that does not mean that it is weak. You can put it through a number of hardships, such as smashing it against an object or submerging in water. This G-Shock model will still prevail. All this is possible because of the following features:
- 660 feet water resistant depth
- Full auto calendar
- 4 daily alarms
- Auto LED light w/ afterglow
- Magnetic and shock resistant
What’s Important When Deciding to Buy a Military Watch?
Tactical watches are all regarded highly durable because they are built to survive the harshest of conditions. However, what determines the lastingness of a military grade watch is the material. It is the material that establishes the practicability of the watch wearing in different settings. The watch cases and bands are usually made from different types of materials.
The case material needs to be highly durable as to the band material because it houses all the important parts of a tactical watch. The following are the most popular watch materials:
- Titanium: This is a heavy duty metal with a greyish-white, silvery polish. It is treated to reduce the risk of allergic reaction. It is one of the hardest natural metals, so it can withstand damage, and it is good in resisting corrosion. Unlike steel, this metal will not rust even if you expose your timepiece to water. However, the hard-wearing qualities do not come cheap. Watches made of this metal are costly but do not exceed those made of precious metals.
- Stainless Steel: This is a metal blend of chromium, nickel, and carbon accompanied by a silver polish. This alloy is attractive to the eye and it is highly discoloration as well as corrosion resistant. It is the best material against scratching, abrasion, and any other marks. It is one of the most used watch materials, because of its durability and affordability.
- Gold: This is a precious metal that does usually have red, yellow, or white polish. Military digital watches made of this material are normally soft. However, the gold is typically not pure but blended with other metals. This material carries prestige; therefore, is popular and costly.
- Platinum: This is a precious metal that has a white polish. As far as corrosion resistance is concerned, this material is the real deal. It also performs splendidly in extreme temperatures. It is without a doubt extremely expensive material – so are the watches.
- Leather: This is a soft material that is processed from animal hides. Unlike most band materials, leather is found in different textures and colors. It is one of the most inexpensive choices, but it has a short life of approximately five years.
Other materials used in the construction of tactical watches include nylon, resin, rubber, and ceramic.
Normally, all wristwatches are installed with timer capabilities, but military models are installed with military features in addition to the timer qualities. This includes anything from a digital compass, altimeter, barometer, heart rate monitor, and pace estimator among others.
Digital Compass: This is a unique feature in a tactical watch because it does not depend on GPS to establish the directions for you. Unlike analog compass that requires you to move from one position to another so as to determine your direction, a digital compass does this exclusively on its own.
This simply means that your compass will still point in the right direction regardless of the GPS signal. The watches with digital compass do not come cheap, though.
Barometer & Altimeter: A watch-style barometer measures the air pressure on a gauge that is calibrated in kilopascals, millibars, or inches of mercury. On the other hand, an altimeter is an indispensable feature of a military timepiece for accurate navigation in poor visibility.
A wristwatch altimeter can be worn outside a jacket (on the wrist), making it particularly useful. You can refer to such an altimeter as whilst on the move without loss of time/ rhythm.
Trying to estimate your speed when skiing or hiking (especially during winter) in poor visibility is practically impossible. Nevertheless, the altimeter feature will provide you with altitude readings, if not your exact position. It does also indicate pressure variation, as well as potential changes in weather.
There is a wide range of wristwatch style altimeters available, ranging from watches costing less than $100, and more sophisticated watches that cost more than $100.
In military words, the combination of the three navigation features is abbreviated as “ABC” referring to Altimeter, Barometer, & Compass. High-end military grade watches, such as Garmin Fenix 3 HR and Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire, add a GPS and HR monitor to the other ABC features. The ABC features are particularly useful for wilderness travelers, skiers, hikers, and mountaineers.
Heart Rate Technology: Most advanced military grade watches are fitted with heart rate tech. This new addition to military digital watches provides you with means of monitoring your heart rate without necessarily having a chest strap on.
The tech provides you with precise info of calories burned depending on your heart rate. Basically, it computes the strength of your fitness. This tech allows you to compare heart rate, calories burned, distance, and pace over time to see how much you are improving.
Water Resistance: The most resourceful designs are waterproof. Surface water sportspersons, divers, and outdoorsmen have to settle for watches with good water resistance capabilities. The least recommended is a timepiece with a water resistance depth of 100 meters, which is effective for surface water sports.
The most recommended is a watch with a water resistance depth of more than 200 meters, with some that can be used for diving.
In history, watch design began a slow ascent toward a standard in the late 1800s and early 1900s. While the military embraced the wristwatch swiftly, noncombatants were much slower to switch from pocket watches to wristwatches. The same cannot be said now.
There has been great development as far as wristwatch designs are concerned over the years. In actual fact, the design of most military grade watches plays a significant role in the pricing.
High-end watches do have more sophisticated designs and they are made of more precious materials such as platinum, gold, or titanium. The best design is one that endorses a multi-cultural outlook that brings up creativity as well as excellence. How resourceful, versatile, and attractive the design starts with the brand’s name.
Most users will expect nothing less than an excellent design from well-known military watches manufacturers, such as Garmin, Suunto, Casio, or Citizen.
It is normal, in the current market, to see consumers respect a specific design because of the history and craftsmanship behind the brand’s name. The best design involves a wide-ranging manufacturing process from the minor components and features to the final product.
The best models are achieved by pushing forward the confines of technology. Individually, each tactical watch is made of a specific case and band material and unique features. The design of a given watch may change from one piece to another with respect to the mechanism of operation: digital and analog.
Analog models feature the traditional three-hand system, including a second hand, a minute hand, and an hour hand. On the other hand, digital models display the time and other military features in numeric.
Of the two, digital designs are popular among military digital watches, such as Garmin Fenix 3 HR and Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire; while analog watches are popular among casual and luxury watches, such as Citizen or Timex.
The battery life among the best military watches differs with respect to the functionalities of the designated watch. Some pieces have a rapid drain rate when compared to others. Statistically, there are watches that can last many years, even a decade or so; while there are others that can last a few days or hours.
Having an extended battery life of a decade plus is good, but this can pose a threat to the watch since the battery can break and leak. This can cause mechanical problems in the watch.
Most modern day watches have a fairly short battery life that can extend up to two years, especially G-SHOCK models. High-end watches, such as Garmin do have a shorter battery life, some have a rating of as low as 10 hours.
In addition to the ABC features (altimeter, barometer, and compass). Modern day watches are GPS enabled. GPS features are not a substitute for reliable direction finding, which is as much about better judgment as well as route choice.
The best military watches combine the functionalities of ABC with Global Positioning Systems to provide better performance and results, as far as navigation is concerned. GPS enabled military digital watches are integrated with location tracking system along with time synchronization.
You can opt to use the GPS when the ABC functionalities are stalled by either mechanical or operational issues. The GPS is your ticket out of the unknown, and it is linked to an endless list of places that may otherwise be unknown to you.
In What Situations Are Military Watches Used For?
Military watches are the best for all outdoor activities because they are designed specifically to withstand any hardship that Mother Nature may present. However, there are a few uses that make these watches stand out as the best for navigation and route finding.
It goes without saying that wristwatch style altimeter, barometer, and compass are essential for accurate navigation when hiking, ski touring, or mountaineering. More and more hikers, skiers, or mountaineers are using GPS functionality to help plot waymarks, and find their way out of the unknown.
Training & Workout
High-end tactical watches are the best for training and workout. With these watches, you will get the most out of every workout, run, or hike you make. They are designed to track your location, pace, distance, and heart rate.
There are some models that can state your fitness and form during and after training. Most advanced models can monitor changes in your training to evaluate your fitness gains and provide you with reliable figures that you can compare with your training partner.
There are some particular advanced tactical watches that are installed with different functionality modes, such as golf mode, ski/board mode, rowing, or swim profile.